1. arachnid n. a member of the family Arachnida, which principally include
s animals with four pairs of legs and no antennae, such as spiders, scorpions, mites, and ticks蛛形纲动物(诸如蜘蛛、蝎子、螨、蜱) My interest in arachnids began when I used to watch spiders build their gorgeous webs in the corners of the porch.我过去常常观察蜘蛛在走廊的角落结网 ，其所结之网甚为奇妙 ，我对蛛形纲动物的兴趣油然而生 。
2. bacchanalian adj.(The Roman god of drama, wine and ecstasy, Bacchus (巴克斯) was the focus of a widespread celebration, the Bacchanalia, at which there was wine in abundance and celebrants were expected to cut loose from normal restraints and give in to all sorts of wild desires.) frenzied, orgiastic; drunken发狂似的 ，狂饮闹宴的；纵酒的The bacchanalian partying on graduation night resulted in three wrecked cars, two lawsuits by unamused parents, and more new experiences than most of the participants could remember the next day.毕业之夜的纵酒狂欢的聚会 ，导致3辆汽车被毁 ，家长因不悦提出的诉讼两起 ，还有许多为大多数参加聚会的人第二天就记不得的新名堂 。
3. behemoth n. (The behemoth is a mighty Biblical beast described in Job 40: 15-40) huge creature; something of monstrous size or power巨兽；庞然大物Sportscasters nicknamed the linebacker“The Behemoth.”体育节目广播员给那个(橄榄球)中后卫起了个“巨兽”的绰号 。
4. blatant adj. (coined by Edmund Spenser) extremely obvious; loudly offensive极明显的；吵嚷的；刺眼的Caught in a blatant lie, the scoundrel had only one regret: he wished he had lied more subtly.那无赖的弥天大谎被当场拆穿 ，此时他只有一个懊悔：懊悔没有把谎话说得巧妙些 。
5. bowdlerize v. (The word immortalizes an English editor, Dr. Thomas Bowdler, who produced a“family”edition (1818) of the works of Shakespeare by removing every word or passage that offended his sense of propriety.) to expurgate删节 ，删改After the film editors had bowdlerized the language in the script, the motion picture’s rating was changed from“R”to“PG”.电影编辑把剧本中的不妥部分删除后 ，该影片就由R级(restricted：指17岁以下青少年除有家长陪同不得观看——译注)变为PG级(parental guidance (suggested)：宜在家长指导下观看的——译注) 。
6. boycott v. (The word comes from C.C. Boycott, land agent ostracized by his neighbors during the Land League agitation in Ireland in 1880.) to refrain from buying or using拒绝购买(或使用)；抵制To put pressure on grape growers to stop using pesticides that harmed the farm workers’health, Cesar Chavez called for consumers to boycott grapes.为了给葡萄种植者施压以迫使其停止使用危害农场工人健康的杀虫剂 ，西泽·查维斯号召消费者拒绝购买葡萄 。also n.
7. braggadocio n. (Braggadochio is a boastful character in Edmund Spenser’s poem The Faerie Queen《仙后》.) boasting自夸 ，吹牛He was disliked because his manner was always full of braggadocio.因为他总是自吹自擂 ，狂妄自大 ，所以很受人讨厌 。cf braggart n. boaster自吹者 ，吹牛者Modest by nature, she was no braggart, preferring to let her accomplishments speak for themselves.她天性谦虚 ，从不自吹 ，喜欢以自己的成就来表明一切 。
8. chauvinist n. (After Nicholas Chauvin, a devoted soldier and overzealous supporter of `Napoleon Bonaparte) blindly devoted patriot; zealous adherent of a group or cause盲目的爱国主义者(一般译为：沙文主义者)；(某集团或事业的)狂热的信徒A chauvinist cannot recognize his faults in his country, no matter how flagrant they may be. Likewise, a male chauvinist cannot recognize how biased he is in favor of his own sex, no matter how flagrant that bias may be.无论自己国家中的缺点有多么明显 ，沙文主义者对此一概视而不见 。同样地 ，无论对自己性别的偏袒有多么明显 ，大男子主义者对那种偏见也是视若无睹 。
9. chimerical adj. (In Greek mythology Chimera (客迈拉) was a fire- breathing monster, usually represented as having a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and a serpent’s tail.) fantastically improbable; highly unrealistic; imaginative异想天开的；空想的；幻想的As everyone expected, Ted’s chimerical scheme to make a fortune by raising ermines in his backyard proved a dismal failure.不出大家所料 ，泰德想在后院饲养白鼬来发财的荒诞不经的计划以惨败告终 。chimera n.
10. chortle v. (coined by Lewis Carroll, in Through the Looking Glass (《镜中世界》), prob. chuckle + snort) to chuckle with delight咯咯地欢笑When she heard that her rival had just been jailed for embezzlement, she chortled with joy. She was not a nice lady.当她听说对手因贪污而被监禁时 ，她开心得咯咯地笑 。她是个幸灾乐祸的女人 。
1、本主题所有言论和图片纯属会员个人意见，与教育投诉网 - jc580.net.cn立场无关。 2、本站所有主题由该帖子作者发表，该帖子作者网络与教育投诉网 - jc580.net.cn享有帖子相关版权。 3、教育投诉网 -jc580.net.cn管理员和版主有权不事先通知发贴者而删除本文。 4、其他单位或个人使用、转载或引用本文时必须同时征得该帖子作者网络和教育投诉网 - jc580.net.cn的同意。 5、帖子作者须承担一切因本文发表而直接或间接导致的民事或刑事法律责任。 6、本帖部分内容转载自其它媒体，但并不代表本站赞同其观点和对其真实性负责。 7、如本帖侵犯到任何版权问题，请立即告知本站，本站将及时予与删除并致以最深的歉意。 本站联系方式:email@example.com